Thursday, December 6, 2018

Guidebook exchange/update

Congratulations to all who took the Petroleum PE Exam in 2018 this fall. Pass or fail, you are the elite. Most petroleum engineers never take this plunge. And honestly, can you blame them? The petroleum PE exam is a monster, pure and simple. I'd rather take the bar!

The 2018 #3 Guidebook (3rd printing, Oct. 2018) is the latest version (what you get from Amazon). I'm happy to exchange any older (non-plagiarized) Guidebooks. Even if you passed the exam don't hesitate to exchange because many continue to use it in the years to come. See exchange instructions below.

My purpose in this space has always been to help fellow engineers (via blog, Guidebook, and problems) as time allows because there are so few resources out there. I hope to continue this tradition and stay available for questions/comments (use a recent comment section or email to reach me).

I've also now 240 practice problems on Amazon Kindle (written on request from blog readers). They are organized into groups of 40 so you can get only what you need. They are digital to keep them inexpensive plus available for immediate download. And if on a budget most of these problems and solutions can accessed for free on the left side of this blog. On the right side of the blog are even more free problems solved using the Guidebook similar to the 2005 SPE practice exam.


TO EXCHANGE: First contact me (use a recent blog comment or email) so I can have a copy ready & give you an address. Then mail the following:

1. Self-addressed, USPS stamped 9x12 envelope (no UPS or FedX). 
2. Old Guidebook (*or just include the front & back covers, copyright plus few odd pages).
3. Where you got it.
4. Toss in $5 cash to cover printing (if on a budget, don't worry about it).
5. No guarantees. I'll return a copy ASAP (first-come-first-serve; for fast/guaranteed, use Amazon).

6 comments:

  1. Can you keep a log of what you are updating - not detailed- but if new material or mistakes or what so we have a better idea of we want to exchange? thanks for doing this and spending so much time to create this community! It was crucial to me passing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, I change too many details over the weeks to document. But the bigger changes can be seen by looking over the 80 2018 practice problems (on the blog, no need to buy) and see if there is anything you need that isn't in your GB version. Note I'm always added to the "money quotes" and changes based on feedback, so that's always changing too.

      But why bother? Anytime you want just tear your covers off with a few pages w/ a return envelope and I'll get you the most recent copy. Easy. USPS media mail & under $10. What's not to like :-)?

      Delete
    2. Do you plan on further updating the guidebook for the 2019 test as it relates to the new CBT format? Only the electronic reference provided can be used, otherwise it is closed book. I plan on buying your guidebook but want to be sure you have made the changes, if any, since the format has changed to CBT.

      Link shown below for the new test format from NCEES
      https://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/PE-Pet-Oct-2019-CBT.pdf

      Delete
    3. Good question. I honestly don't think the "prep" phase of studying for the exam is going to change that much, and I don't think the exam questions will change that much either. The real question is: should I add anything or remove anything, or change the structure? I doubt it.

      Regardless, I change the GB several times a year, so I wouldn't hesitate to get it any time then send it in for a swap as desired. Your study time is far, far more important than waiting for potential changes to a text.

      I like the GB format for the closed book exam though because of how concise the GB is; a person can remember the general framework and do companion problems alongside until it's "imprinted". But I want to look at the new book they allow in the exam before I change anything.

      Delete
  2. Hi, David, thank you for you help here on this site. You say one can email you... What is your email? I searched this site and couldnt find it. I would appreciate if you could answer with a couple of questions for me. Thank you, Ivan

    ReplyDelete