Monday, September 18, 2017

Q & A

I often get questions about what is the best "method" to take the PE exam.

Here's my experience. Keep in mind everyone is different and YMMV.

1) I brought all my books (3 totes on small dolly) and faced them up (like a laying-down bookshelf) in an organized way (how I did my practice tests). Those totes sat on the floor to my left and right. I had the entire 7 HS, 12 TS, a dozen spiral-bound API docs, Redbook, Dictionary, Well Control, Bradley, Bing, Mian, etc.,etc. This setup was an absolute waste of time. But it made me feel better!

2) I kept the GB, calculator, pencil, paper, test book on my desk. The desk was big and roomy. The wall clock was fine, but we didn't start on time on either half-test, which threw me off on how I watched my timing.

3) Wore one digital watch with no sound (a guy got kicked out of our test for his watch beeping a single beep just twice!).

4) Wife brought a light lunch; I ate in the testing building. I brought no food into the exam itself and drank a limited amount of water (to avoid the restroom). My intent was to take NoDoz or Jet Alert for a caffeine buzz, but forgot them. And I was tired too: I packed late plus goofed off the night before. Yep, I was that stupid...

5) Earplugs were provided (use them!), pencil, paper. I never used my straight edge. No time.


What worked best for me regarding test strategy?

A) I divided each half-exam's 40 problems into 8 "mini tests"; 5 problems each 30 minutes. I did them in order. With leftover time, I checked and rechecked those five problems until my 30 minutes was up. If I couldn't finish one or more within the 30 minutes, I moved on, never to return.* I believe this was the most important thing I did when taking the exam because if forced me into rigorous time management.

B) I resisted opening any book (besides the GB, dictionary, or Redbook) until I was done and checking my work. This prevented me from "flipping pages" in vain on any particular problem. I think this was the second most important thing I did.

C) The dictionary was the unexpected killer resource (thanks Bing!). I used it at least 3 times to help get to an answer. I had mine tabbed by letter. It's a must have. Tab it and get used to using it on practice exams.

D) I used the HS, TS, and Well Control (for the pictures) several times to check answers. They never helped me actually get answers, just confirm what I already suspected, or had in my notes (GB). But I did waste at least 15-20 minutes looking around in them.

E) *I ignored 2 esoteric or long questions (each half exam) until the end (this saved 15 minutes which I used to revisit them at the end of the exam). If I wasn't familiar with a problem, I just worked it fast and moved on, expecting to miss it. But that was rare. I found the test subject matter fair and as expected. I didn't have a desire to add anything to my notes (GB) at the end of the exam.

F) Each hour, I forced myself to stop, put my pencil down. close my eyes, and breath deeply for 15 whole seconds. Best move ever. It's hard to give up that minute, but it made me more productive.

G) I always reviewed/checked my work on all five problems at the end of each 30 minute mini-test. I felt good doing most problems, yet caught at least 3 mistakes each half-exam! Tricks. And these were problems I was confident I knew how to do; I was merely doing a routine check. This left me jittery and unsure of myself. How many more did I miss? So I left the exam wondering if I had passed, but reflecting I realized I probably did very well because of my paranoia.


What surprised me?

I) My many books didn't help me at all (like many others think they do). If anything, they hurt me by using valuable time (except the dictionary; that was an awesome tool; HT Bing!).

2) How much my notes (now the GB) helped to "center" me and remind me what I already knew. At the start of any problem, I always flipped to the relevant GB chapter for a quick scan for a refresher. I can't explain how hard it was to switch from drilling to rod pumps to reservoir to API specs to some word problem about geology to...you get the idea. I simply can't adjust like that effectively without a quick overview of the subject to focus my mind.

3) How difficult it was to manage time, stay focused, and remain unemotional for 8 hours. It was the hardest and longest exam I've ever taken. It's not a sprint; it's a marathon and the winners separate themselves from the pack in the second half, long after the excitement is gone. It's all about pace, stamina, and time management.

4) How much the lectures from Bing's class helped. Especially the review of TS1 and TS2. I missed taking the exam in 2014, the year I took Bing's class, yet I still remembered quite a bit from the lectures. Lots of good stuff in those lectures if you are lucky enough to be able to take it. See the link to the lower left to find out more about Bing and when his classes are available.

16 comments:

  1. Many folks here reference "TS1, TS2, 12 TS". I assume this is a book/reference. I'm drawing a blank on the "TS", can anyone share what this acronym means?

    What is 7HS?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TS is the SPE Textbook Series, 1-12. HB (or HS) is SPE Handbook Series 1-6.
      These are the "standard" SPE PE Exam references, so they keep coming up.

      Delete
    2. mdavid - Thanks for the reply. Does the SPE Textbook Series come in a bulk order? Or am I stuck ordering them all individually? I see the Handbook Series can be bought as a series (All 7 @ a reduced rate).

      Delete
    3. Red, you would not want all 12 of them anyway unless for your personal use; I have them all but I'm a bit of a nerd and only used a few for the exam. All you really will want is TS1, TS2, TS12 for sure, and the Guidebook has most everything you need. But they are good for learning the subject matter. But most guys will want the HS because it comes with an index book lots of guys use on the exam. Personally, I it never worked for me. See the discussion on last year's exam in the permalink to the left.

      Delete
    4. I mean the index didn't work; I would recommend getting the entire series if you can just in case because it seems to help lots of people. See the link on my resources page.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experience. I've found it to be very helpful thus far.

    With regard to Bing's course, how valuable would you say it is for someone preparing for the exam? I wonder if the material/example problems covered in the class are what makes the course helpful, or the insight (testing tips, notes, etc.) shared with the class? (Or both?)

    I recently purchased an old recording of the PE prep course offered by SPE (it's a webinar), and while some of the presented problems are great and familiar, others are very unorganized and difficult to follow (random/obscure constants, unexplained steps, etc.). That's both good and bad, because it forces me to dig further in the texts, but sometimes I feel like I lose a lot of time when I cannot find what I'm looking for.

    Anyway, I think you said you took both SPE's and Bing's class. How would you rate both and which would you recommend if you could only take one?

    The cost of the classes is my main deterrent. I am currently covering the SPE webinar, following along with your guidebook, and attempted the 2016 AM section practice exam. I plan on doing the others (16' PM an 17' PM) once I finish. Do you think I could do without Bing's class or would you still recommend making the sacrifice and taking it?

    One last question; during the exam, do you recall having to use external figures and charts? For example, for sucker rod AL design (API RP 11L), Moody charts for friction factors, z-factor for PVT, etc.

    Thank you

    -ED

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed. This is a pretty long discussion for a blog comment but good questions all; why don't you email me? mdavidgo ( at ) gmail. Cheers!

      Delete
    2. I'm also curious about your thoughts on all the questions Ed posed (I'm taking Bing's class in a few weeks). Is there an abbreviated version of your email correspondence that you could post here?

      Delete
    3. Unk, Ed an I had a lot of convo back and forth about a lot of stuff. Just let be know what specifically you would like to know (in bite size pieces :-)).

      Delete
    4. Specific questions that piqued my interest:

      1) "With regard to Bing's course, how valuable would you say it is for someone preparing for the exam? I wonder if the material/example problems covered in the class are what makes the course helpful, or the insight (testing tips, notes, etc.) shared with the class? (Or both?)"

      2) "during the exam, do you recall having to use external figures and charts? For example, for sucker rod AL design (API RP 11L), Moody charts for friction factors, z-factor for PVT, etc."

      3) I'm a bit less than 2 months from test day. If I'm signed up to take Bing's class, would it be worth the time to also go through the SPE webinar, or would that time be better spent continuing to work through the Bing material and your practice tests?

      Delete
    5. 1) "With regard to Bing's course, how valuable would you say it is for someone preparing for the exam? I wonder if the material/example problems covered in the class are what makes the course helpful, or the insight (testing tips, notes, etc.) shared with the class? (Or both?)"

      Both. The trouble with answering this question is that it completely depends on the individual. Personally, I found Bing's class problems really, really good for engineering and career development. And I found the lectures really, really helpful for the exam. But everyone is different here. Bottom line: if you have chance to take Bing's class, take it.

      2) "during the exam, do you recall having to use external figures and charts? For example, for sucker rod AL design (API RP 11L), Moody charts for friction factors, z-factor for PVT, etc."

      I get this a lot but it's a moot question as you still need to be ready to use these figures and charts FAST. Be ready either way. But I can say I know guys who pass with nothing but the GB, practice exams, RB, dictionary, and calculator. So YMMV. So don't trust me, read the comments to the left on last year's exam.

      3) I'm a bit less than 2 months from test day. If I'm signed up to take Bing's class, would it be worth the time to also go through the SPE webinar, or would that time be better spent continuing to work through the Bing material and your practice tests?

      Everyone is different here. Honestly, I'm amazed at the variety. For me, it was taking practice exams that was everything. After practice tests I understood the key (for me) was to have a single text that was a "primary" reference for speed. I know one guy from CHV who just used 3 pages of notes. I used my GB. I know a guy from COP who used Bradley. A guy from BP who used Bing. My order: A) PRIMARY TEXT, B) Practice Exams, C) Bing's Lectures, D) DICTIONARY, E) SPE Handbook, F) SPE TS12. But again, everyone is different. Read the comments from last year's exam (link to left) to see the diversity. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  3. What Specifically, is this dictionary you speak of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See the resources page or other exam discussion pages; I have the link there.

      Delete
    2. Added the link to this post. You can get cheaper or older versions. But the other non-Hyne versions are not as good; get that author.

      Delete
  4. Once you have passed the PE exam, is there any place that has free continuing education materials?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many places on the web, but none are very good IMO. I've been meaning to write something for this, maybe I'll get around to it.

      Delete