Wednesday, September 20, 2017

2017 Test Study Plan

If you passed the 2016 Exam, congratulations. I'm hearing from a lot of you who did [edit: rumor has it the cut-off score is 43; if you agree or know different, please leave a comment below].

If you didn't pass, don't let it get to you. It's no big deal. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. Remember, anyone who can pass the FE exam has already shown they have the brains to pass the PE if they 1) study enough, 2) keep a positive mental attitude, and 3) do enough practice exams or similar problems.

My study suggestions for 2017:

1) Read the 2016 exam comment thread (link to left) and every blog post regarding testing methods and resources.

2) Select and acquire your chosen resources. Start reading them today.

3) Read the Guidebook carefully, every word, until you know it extremely well. Learn any concept in it you don't completely understand. Tab chapters; practice using the TOC. Ensure you have the second printing (I'll update your old one for free).

4) Get to where you can solve every 2004 Sample Exam question in under 6 minutes. The 2004 is not like the modern PE exam but it's a great tool for subject mastery. If you have questions about any particular problem, I have similar example problems linked on the right-side of this blog.

5) Months before your 2017 test date (I prefer 6 months) take the 2016 AM Practice Exam (under test conditions). From this experience, decide on your "testing strategy". My preference is 5 problems (done in order) each half-hour, never to return. However, many people prefer to do the easy ones first, or even do them by subject. Choose your method now, in order to practice it on future practice exams. You will test like you practice.

6) Study weak areas. Continue to do practice exams or realistic problems. Make sure that you fully understand every problem you see on a practice exam, even if you get it correct. On the real exam, you will be under stress and may not be so lucky.

If you don't intend to use the Guidebook or Practice Exams, that's no problem, just make sure you know your primary resources well. If you can afford it, take Bing's class (see link to the lower left). You can also learn problems from any SPE Textbook Series as practice problems, or the SPE Certification Exam. There are lots of free options out there.

I don't recommend bringing sample exam problems to the real exam. You won't have the time to be looking around for similar problems when testing. To highlight a particular problem, make notes in your primary resource.

9 comments:

  1. David, I noticed the PE Practice Exam 2017 is Kindle version in Amazon. Could you be able to mail me a paper copy instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are only published on AMZ Kindle (I can't just distribute them). I might publish them in print later later on if there is enough demand. Why the desire for paper?

      Delete
    2. I just wanna bring a hard copy and lock my self in office to complete the practice exam. And I do not want to invest on a Kindle just for a practice exam...

      Delete
    3. Got it. That's no problem. Just download a free app to your phone (or computer) and read it there.

      Delete
  2. David,
    I would really like to buy the Guidebook but it isn't available on amazon.ca (so far as I can tell), and I live in Canada. Is there another way I could purchase the guidebook?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure. Send me an email mdavidgo (at) gmail (dot) com.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. David,

      I sent you an email about purchasing a guide. Please let me know if this is doable.

      Thanks

      Delete
    4. Chad, there is a link on this blog to get one on Amazon (it's $48 + shipping). If you want it faster, just Paypal me $50 & I'll mail you one personally (3 day shipping). David

      Delete