Thursday, August 1, 2019

Test Taking Strategy - 2019 CBT

Note: I will not talk about specific problems from any prior exam.

First: Get your materials; review the 2019 Update - SPE Petroleum Engineering Certification and PE License Exam Reference Guide (Ghalambor) digital version. Next, learn the Petroleum Engineering Guidebook in detail along with SPE Textbook Series #1, #2, #12, and #4 as time allows. Have a good Petroleum Dictionary to use when you study. Have the Halliburton Red Book or equivalent. Invest in the 7 volume Petroleum Engineering Handbook and read it, focusing on weak areas.

Second: Do the Petroleum PE Problems 2021: 1-43 to get used to the exam style, using the Ghalambor reference that you will have on the real exam. Next, do the Petroleum PE Problems 2018: 1-40 or the 2005 SPE Sample Exam 1-40. It's critical to do these practice problems under actual test conditions. Lock yourself in a room for four hours with your calculator, the approved CBT text, and whatever you will eat and drink. You will need to use resources for pipe sizes, etc., but assume those will be given on the exam problem itself. It is important to start off with timed problems to get a feel for the exam before you invest a lot of time studying. If you lack four uninterrupted hours try 10 problems per 1 hour for the same effect.

Third: Take, practice, and completely understand every problem on the 2005 SPE Sample Exam 1-80. This is your calculation problem study time. Do every problem as many times as needed until each one takes less than 6 minutes each (on average).

Fourth: Review whatever reservoir textbook you are most familiar with. Also, if you have the time, do and completely understand every problem on the 2014 SPE Practice Exam (this isn't like the actual exam, it's mostly easy and fast, but worth a look if you have extra time since it has a few challenging reservoir problems). Study any weak areas.

Fifth: Do the 2016 Petroleum PE Problems 2018: 41-80. If you don't have it, use the 2005 Practice Exam 41-80. This is your final check. If you can get 70% under exam conditions, you will probably do all right on the real thing. Use this test to hone your test-taking skills under time constraints.

Sixth: Sometime in the month before the exam, do the Petroleum PE Problems 2017 and 2016: 1-80. Take them as if it's real, including food and restroom breaks, but again use other resources that have information that would be provided on the problem. Regroup and study as needed. If you have the opportunity to take review courses (Bing is highly recommended) do so. The lectures are invaluable, especially for engineers without a petroleum degree.

Regarding studying: I didn't find practicing calculation problems to help much past a certain point. If you can do every problem on the 2005 exam within time constraints (average 6 minutes per problem), you should be good to go on calculations.

Regarding the futility of studying calculation problems to prepare for the PE Exam? Read David Vaucher who after taking the 2014 exam said, "I think I did well. I’m confident because I spent ample time preparing..." and "...I am certain that I got all the calculation questions right...". But to his chagrin he then learned he did not pass. Think about that; he believes he didn't miss a single calculation problem yet did not pass! This demonstrates the danger of relying on your calculation acumen to carry you.

So how should one prepare? Achieve real understanding and hone your test-taking skills. This was how I generated my study notes (now Guidebook) during the years I waited to take the exam. These notes (later "Guidebook") summarized the main points from SPE textbooks. And little else. Know the basics well.

You have probably heard the joke that to avoid being eaten by a charging bear you don't have to outrun the bear, just the other guy? Well you don't need to get every answer right on this exam. You just need more answers correct than about half the other guys. Think like this when you study.

51 comments:

  1. I just finished reading through the new reference. It is very dry, only has equations. It is my expectation, based on previous exam experience, that the conceptual questions will be extremely difficult due to not being able to use the 7 volume series. They pull the questions directly from these books. During the test I found 10+ questions word for word from the handbooks. The calculation part of the exam should not be any tougher since we will have the equations, but the conceptual.. gonna be tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input. I do think the "conceptual" part will be easy compared to the language part...that is, even if you know the problem's subject matter very well the language can be quite confusing. In the past, one could just find the "exact quote" in the 7 Volume set and verify. Not now. But one advantage is that you won't waste time looking through the books and can spend your entire time looking carefully at the problem wording.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this list of things to review it is greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks David for providing the guidelines on how to study for the PE exam. Do you mind giving the link of the Halliburton Red Book ? I am not sure which book this is. Thanks!

    Wenli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi; you can use the SLB or HLB books. Now it's EBT you won't use it on the exam and that information will be provided. I don't know where one can "buy" them. I've always got them for free from HAL or SLB. I think they have digital versions you can download for free and I would just go that route if you can't get one locally.

      Delete
    2. https://www.slb.com/drilling/drilling-fluids-and-well-cementing/well-cementing/cement-software/i-handbook

      Delete
  4. Planning to take the 2019 exam. Does anybody have the handbooks they would be willing to sell?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact the test is "closed book" makes the Handbooks less valuable IMO. Before, one would use the index and find the "money quote". Now, you really can't look it up anyways. You have to know the material itself, and one can get that info multiple places. Note the new V3 Guidebook has quite a few summaries of each subject designed to to this. But you can get the entire HS for <$600 I think (see the Amazon link). The TS are more expensive and less needed for the exam (besides TS12).

      Delete
  5. Looking for reviews of the School of PE prep course. I see a recommendation for Bing's class, but read on other blogs that the information was out of date. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm concerned that there doesn't appear to be any values in the Reference Guide outside of a few tables provided in the drilling section. In your opinion, is it safe to assume that the variable values will be given and it is a matter of finding which equation to use in the Reference Guide?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay in my reply (fishing). Yes, I think it safe all values will be provided.

      Delete
  7. Hi David,
    is SPE certification exam and PE exam has same syllabus and same pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I understand the Q. They are different tests, but they now follow the same resource list with the CBT I believe. What exactly are you asking? Note I have never taken the Cert but know quite a few folk who have.

      Delete
  8. Hi,David,

    I am working on the 2014 SPE Practice Exam, got confused on #43 (calculating the new GOR at new bubble point). Is is possible you can post a solution here? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done that problem; can anyone give him a solution in the comment box?

      Delete
    2. I couldn't figure #43 out either....sorry.

      Delete
    3. Thanks. It's possible that problem has a wrong solution; I know a few of them did.

      Delete
    4. #43. Reservoir Oil Reser Orig Undersat & no H2O find new Rs. use graph from previous problem w/ 1944 psi psi. by using RF Egn 5.4 in C&H (2160)(1-RF)=1944

      Delete
  9. I am hearing that the SPE reference has a lot of errors and SPE will be releasing a list of corrections in the next week. Has anyone else heard of this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that info shpeatx! I haven't heard that, but have been hoping for years somebody does it because I get a lot of questions about it.

      I do know this: when I took the exam in 2015 that practice exam style/problem type didn't help me at all. But I know everyone is different here, so I think it's a good practice check.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, to be clear I was referring to Ghalambor's SPE exam reference guide

      Delete
    3. Oh, I thought you were referring to the 2014 SPE practice exam. Thanks for the correction. I would be amazed if the Reference Guide Update didn't have a few errors; heck, it's the first pass. It looked fairly clean to me for what I was expecting though. The Update seemed a big improvement and much better than I expected. Remember, there are still errors in SPE Textbook #1 :-).

      Delete
  10. The corrections came out today. Less than a week before the exam and contains 17 pages of corrections and additions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anon, quite the list of corrections!

      But I think they should have put everyone's mind at ease by formally stating that no problem on the exam could become in error due to errors in the reference.

      Delete
    2. Did they actually formally state that, David?

      Delete
  11. Where is the updated material, thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Log into SPE for it. They should send you an email if you have purchased the reference. I got one.

      Delete
  12. I just spoke with spe, who I have been working with back and forth with corrections that I have found (iv sent over 20) and I was told that the new additions/corrections will not be what is given to us on exam day because there is not enough time to get it into ncees system. Was also told that the mistakes should not impact our test grades and that any 4 yr engineer should be able to identify the mistakes in the equations that might be used for the test..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Has anyone not received the email? I purchased both the paper version and a digital version, and I have not received an email. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try this:

      http://info.specommunications.org/rs/833-LLT-087/images/PELicenseHB-V1-List%20of%20Errata-10-08-2019.pdf?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiWWpBNE1qQTNNemt5WkRVdyIsInQiOiJtelg1Q296UDZEUUhjVmg1eVRVTkVzVXJrUDNPblNRSCtnU0FrNFBwTXRtQlwvOWFZYmVqNUR2U3hjdlRKV2dkdGF2bko3S3Z4SkFac2MwVmtDclJCTEJXcEJCbjBSVXg3N2pcL093RW0rNVNMbXN3UEJBOHdIdmZvNnExZGFVYUlFIn0%3D

      Delete
  14. Thanks, David. That works. I really appreciate all your help.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What did everyone think? I thought it was a very practical exam... however, I didn't study much of the practical material? My focus was on the previous tests, and I don't think this test was like any of the previous tests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What test are you referring to Unknown?

      Delete
    2. If you are referring to today's actual PE exam, see the recent post made specifically for that discussion.

      Delete
  16. Greetings,
    I have just passed my FE exam and I will be buying the materials needed for the 2020 PE exam, as I have read so far:
    1-Spe Update 2019
    2-spe series 1-7 Ali Ghalamobour
    3- dictionary ( why is that important ) ...?...
    4- David reference

    Is there anything else rather than problems on the blog here ???

    Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) The SPE Handbook Series.
      2) SPE Textbook Series 1, 12 and a RE book.
      3) The Dictionary was important before the EBT, I don't know what the consensus is now. If anyone who took the EBT has a comment, please weigh in!

      Delete
  17. Sorry once again,

    What do you mean by (RE) book

    Also spe textbook series no12 is drilling fundamentals, what is no1 because I can’t find it on their website


    So there are 3 resources:

    1- SPE Handbook series 1-7

    2- Spe Textbook Series 1&12

    3- Your reference

    4- Spe reference 2019 update

    ReplyDelete
  18. For the references, what's "HS"?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi David, Do you have any new suggestions/advice based on last years exam? Also, is there a guidebook companion 6,7 coming out?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm going to put out an updated digital guidebook and an updated companion. I just don't know if I can do it before this year's test. But definitely before the 2021 test.

      Delete
    2. Hi David. Are you going to update the strategy for 2021 test?

      Delete
    3. Yes, I've updated it with the 1-43 recommendation. Nothing else has really changed. Thanks!

      Delete
  20. Hello David,
    Do the questions in the CBT follow the sequence of drilling-production-facility-reservoir? or they just pop out randomly?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe there is any sequence, but the test changes every year.

      Delete
    2. The exam questions were grouped by discipline on the 2019 CBT exam. The order of conceptual versus calculation problems was random within the discipline. The first two disciplines were available in the morning. Remaining disciplines, after lunch break. I believe there were five total, including project management. It was possible to take unplanned comfort breaks, save your work, and return, however, the clock keeps running for these unplanned breaks. You had to go through the screening process each time you return, so plan time wisely.

      Delete
    3. Jc, having taken the 2019, what changes would you recommend to practice problems and the Guidebook? Thanks in advance!

      Delete
  21. It difficult going through the 7 HBS. Is there a trick around it ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and no. Read the 2018 Guidebook carefully, all the notes at the end of each chapter. This should get you 75% if you have a good PE base.

      I do know several people who have had a hard time passing the exam over many times were finally able to pass the exam by just reading and learning the HB. But one generally just needs to focus on the parts I cover in the Guidebook.

      Delete
    2. As I have mentioned in earlier posts, a good way to review the Handbook series is to go on the Petrowiki site, and use the "random" link. As a new topic pops up, try to write your own exam questions based on the material you are reading. This will etch the topics in your mind more than just dry reading. Also, pay particular attention to any general graphics, charts, process flows, or schematics. These are all fair game on the CBT.

      Delete
  22. Hi David, I saw in SPE website, the 7 volume Petroleum Engineering Handbook is $620, but on Amazon, the used one is only $180.96. Is that contains 7 volume on Amazon? I doubt that as that is too cheap. Thanks

    ReplyDelete