Thursday, March 12, 2020

Metering: 2017 #5

Gas metering problem; four scenarios are given: 1) orifice plate installed backwards, 2) plate leading edge worn, or 3 & 4) flow computer orifice entry too large/small.

The first situation is described on 8 FAC 3 & 4 (negative bias). This infers the answer to the second situation (worn leading edge is then a negative bias). So the only remaining question: does a larger or smaller computer entry for the orifice provide a positive bias on flow?

The answer: a larger value entered for the orifice ID gives a positive bias to flow. You can see this from the Guidebook's Fb table; a larger orifice ID has a larger Fb constant thus giving a larger q.

Yet be ready for pipe diameter computer entry errors as well. Unlike orifice diameter this has an inverse effect on Fb and thus q (again, this can be seen from the Guidebook table). So be careful when reading the wording of the question.

4 comments:

  1. Hi David,

    Given limited time to the exam do you recommend getting 2017 or 2018 practice exam from Amazon? Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would go 2016 then 2018. If I ran short of time I would try 40 problems from each.
      But I would want to try a dummy 8 hr test if possible too: with the full clock, bathroom breaks, coffee or not, because it's sort of weird how it changes your timing techniques. But only if time allows...

      Delete
  2. Thank you David! I will take your advice. I love your guide book, you did a great job, thank you for all your time!

    I did try to do Bings 2009 exam this weekend and used the GB 90% of the time. Your right I could not do the exam in 8 hours, it actually took me 6 hours on the first 40 questions and maybe 7 on the second half. But it did help highlight which sections I really need to work on. It's amazing, some stuff I have never heard of even though I have been working as a reservoir engineer for 13 years now.

    I really like your suggestion about dividing the exam into 8 problems and working them them moving on, it's a bit different from what Bing had recommend. His strategy is to work number problems first then coming back for the word problems.

    Can't wait to have this exam behind me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The 2009 is also called the 2004 & 2005 (I call it the 2005).
      One of the reasons I made a bunch of 40 problem sets is so people can experiment with different methods yet still have an exam to practice with in the end.

      Delete