Thursday, October 25, 2018

Separator: 2016 #59

Problem 59. A 24 inch dia horizontal separator designed for 1M STB OPD...liquid retention rate is 1.1 minutes with a desired operating level of 40%. The manufactured seam-to-seam length: (A) 3 ft; (B) 5 ft; (C) 7 ft; (D) 9 ft.

This is merely the Guidebook example. Le in this case is 3.4 ft. Next one decides if gas or liq dominates and do the second calc for 5.4 ft. Knowing separtors must be 5 ft min and rounding up by 2.5 ft, seam-to-seam length is 7.5. Nearest answer? (C).

2 comments:

  1. Hi David. Off topic but what is the solution to SPE 2014 practice test question 43 or 92? I've been trying to wrap my head around them but keep coming up short. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2005 Exam #19
    I calculated an Leff of 3.57", since its 50% full, neither liquid or gas could be dominant. So calculated Seam to Seam for both phases and chose the larger option,
    SS Liquid = 4.76"
    SS Gas = 6.07ft.
    Since I'm between sizes (5 and 7.5ft) I assumed I would round up the 6.07ft to 7.5ft
    (closest choice being B 7.1ft)
    The answer key is showing C 9.6ft --- I'm assuming I didn't get the correct Leff?
    I haven't been able to find a detailed solution to a 2 phase Seam to Seam, sorry if this has already been covered.

    ReplyDelete