Monday, June 4, 2018

SPE Petroleum Engineering Handbook (Bradley 1987)

There are only a few useful SPE books for the PE Exam. Bradley's SPE Petroleum Engineering Handbook is one. On the used market it goes for $100 to $200. My Amazon review is here.

I bring this up because I'm often returning to Bradley. I'm amazed at how concise and well-organized this text is. I'm currently updating my reservoir section with a few "money quotes" from Bradley. Remember, this is still an SPE reference, and thus it's fair game on the PE Exam.

In fact, I know several people who used it exclusively for their PE Exam and did well. One of the reasons it still shines for the exam is how tight it is: no wasted words. Clear explanations. Simple format for quick reference. And it has a lot of practical, work-related stuff the newer Handbook series leaves out for some reason.

In summary: because the new Handbook Series is out, people are selling their old Bradley Handbooks thus making them at least "somewhat" affordable. Back in the day, it was a collector's item and very hard to even find. So while quite dated it's worth another look as a primary reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment